:: Re: [Libbitcoin] Coding style - lib…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Eric Voskuil
To: libbitcoin
Betreff: Re: [Libbitcoin] Coding style - libbitcoin-*
Hi William,

Regarding header locations, I like your proposed approach as we move to
refactor and rename the libs, especially since the lib naming convention is
boost-based.

FWIW I don't consider the use of the master header a chage in direction. The
projects have for some time defined a master header for use by dependant
projects. This is good practive as it prevents unnecesary churn in dependant
projects and makes the library easier to work with. Of course the master
header should not be used within the project that exports it. However our
own dependent projects have not been making use of the master headers of
their dependencies (e.g. libwallet->libbitcoin). I think this happened in
libwallet inadvertently as the code was factored out of libbitcoin. So my
changes have been to just make proper use of our master headers.

There is a reason for the export macros to be uniquely-named per project.
Each project needs to define a symbol to differentiate between dll export
and static. Each dependent project needs to define a symbol to differentiate
between dll import and static. So there are three contexts since import and
export static are the same. If two projects utilize the same symbols for
declaring exports it becomes hard for dependent projects to treat them
independently. While it may be common for a project to link all dependent
projects in the same manner it's certainly not a requirement and therefore
would be bad practive to couple these symbols across projects.