:: Re: [unSYSTEM] A cleanroom blockcha…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Caleb James DeLisle
A: System undo crew
Assumpte: Re: [unSYSTEM] A cleanroom blockchain implementation for collaborative realtime editing.

On 03/12/2014 10:23 AM, Peter Todd wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 09:56:04AM +0100, Caleb James DeLisle wrote:
>> Hi guys, I figured this list would have enough blockchain enthusiests here that it would be worth mentioning this project. A few months ago I was tasked by XWiki SAS Research to develop a realtime collaborative editor which could do text, WYSIWYG and collaborative drawing. I decided to do it using a peer-to-peer consensus algorithm using a Nakamoto Blockchain with the difficulty/mining aspect removed.
>>
>> AFAIK this is the first application to use a blockchain which has nothing at all todo with bitcoin.
>>
>> Javascript - LGPL-2.1 https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/chainpad
>>
>> An early use of the algorithm: http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/RtWiki
>
> Care to explain what exactly a "blockchain" is being used for in this case?
>
> In particular, how does what you are doing differ from the directec acyclic graph structure seen in, say, git-style decentralized revision control systems?

Although there is a central server in the reference implementation, the
algorithm is designed to be able to be p2p and if two groups become
partitioned for a period of time, the chain will fork and when they
re-join, the longest fork of the chain will win with those using the
shorter fork being reverted.
I'm using the term blockchain because unlike git, it is a p2p consensus
seeking algorithm... And I happen to have stolen almost every design
aspect from Satoshi.

Thanks,
Caleb