Til: System undo crew, Mike Gogulski
Emne: Re: [unSYSTEM] GPL vs. libre software
I agree with Mike. My preference is for the 3 clause MIT license that protects the author from liability but doesn't restrict use or distribution. Incidentally, the Foundation's by-laws are distributed under the MIT license on GitHub...

On December 14, 2013 at 2:19:11 AM, Mike Gogulski (mike@???) wrote:

On 12/14/2013 12:37 AM, Amir Taaki wrote:
> We can link together, pool resources and build common
> infrastructure while securing a dignified existence for ourselves.

I submit that attaching a threat to use (state) violence against people
who use that common infrastructure out of conformance with the author's
/diktat/ is itself undignified. Exceedingly so.

> Or we can lock ourselves away, fight against each other, erect walls and
> put our trust into central power which derives its legitimacy and
> consent through the front of authority.

This is exactly what folks who apply state-backed copyleft licensing
like the GPL to their creations are doing. The GPL relies fundamentally
upon that illegitimate, unsupportable, justly-hated central authority
for its very wording.

Amir, when you find someone using your GPL-branded code having stripped
the licensing and attribution from it and without having released the
source code, are you going to personally threaten that person with
physical harm? Call the police? Call a lawyer? If you're not willing to
take such steps, then you have no need of the GPL. And if you are
willing to do so, a tribunal will be convened to consider the revocation
of your anarchism merit badge.

Peace,
Mike

- signature.asc, 303 bytes