:: Re: [unSYSTEM] the foundation
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Jason King
To: System undo crew
Betreff: Re: [unSYSTEM] the foundation
A three-month-old company with ties to one of the biggest promoters of the
virtual currency bitcoin has filed for bankruptcy protection with less than
$50,000 in assets.Alydian Inc., a unit of CoinLab Inc., on Friday filed for
Chapter 11 protection in U.S. bankruptcy court in Seattle. The 10-page
court filing didn't disclose why Alydian filed for bankruptcy or how it
hopes to repay its debts.CoinLab is a bitcoin start-up run by Peter
Vessenes, who is also chairman of the Bitcoin Foundation. The foundation is
essentially a nonprofit trade group that has gained attention in recent
months for promoting bitcoin and supporting new rules aimed at making it
more accepted.CoinLab is one of the best-known names in the fledgling
virtual-currency industry, describing itself as a "bitcoin business
incubator." It has won credibility because it has attracted funding from
venture capitalists such as Silicon Valley's Draper Associates, which
pumped $500,000 into the company last year.Mr. Vessenes, who signed the
bankruptcy petition, couldn't be reached for comment. Alydian's bankruptcy
attorney also couldn't be reached. A spokeswoman for the Bitcoin Foundation
declined to comment.CoinLab announced the formation of Alydian in August,
touting it as "its newest portfolio company" that would develop
bitcoin-mining solutions for customers. "Mining" is the term used to
describe the computer-generated creation of the virtual currency. The
filing doesn't include Coinlab.Unlike dollars or euros that are backed by a
central bank, bitcoin users trade the currency on a number of exchanges or
swap it privately. Some merchants also accept bitcoin as payment for goods
and services.Bitcoin trading has been on a rollercoaster this year. The
currency nearly quintupled earlier this year, leaping from roughly $50 in
mid-March to $230 in April. It traded at about $100 in August, but was
fetching $237.50 in Monday trading on the Tokyo-based Mt.Gox
exchange.Federal and state regulators have been cracking down on bitcoin
transactions and pushing companies to follow comprehensive
anti-money-laundering requirements just like traditional money-transmission
businesses such as Western Union Co.CoinLab, which is based in Bainbridge
Island, Wash., has registered as a money-services business with the
Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, a unit of the Treasury
Department.Alydian said in court papers that it owes $600,000 to CoinLab
Inc. It also listed $3 million in debt to New Zealand's XRay Holdings LLC
and $40,000 in debt to Mr. Vessenes.The filing was made in the name of
Alydian affiliate CLI Holdings Inc