:: Re: [unSYSTEM] cooperative business…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Caleb James DeLisle
A: System undo crew
Assumpte: Re: [unSYSTEM] cooperative business models through bitcoin
I had not followed this thread but the new subject line is just too
beautiful to ignore. I am a huge believer in cooperation, to the point
that I actually think anonymity is detrimental in the long term because
it promotes individualism which damages the layer of trust needed to
build a society, let alone the one we want to live in.

Off topic: I've been going over in my mind different approaches to
building communities which take advantage of anonymity to be hardened
from outside attacks but still have trust within the community.

I think the development of the ColorCoin technology will prove very
important in the future. Money in motion creates incentives. You pay
for something because you care about it and that creates incentive to
the other party in the exchange. What is not often recognized is that
money at rest represents trust. When you put your money in the bank, you
are trusting the government and banking system.

Currently there are few other options than trusting the banking system.
Unless they are willing to sign piles of documents and pay exorbitant
fees to a broker, they are completely locked out of the traditional
investment system and forced to place all of their trust in the banks.

Bankers, particularly community bankers, are not evil people but they
are forced to lend the money to those most likely to return it. If
WalMart can make a better case that they are capable of repaying their
loans then can Jean's Coffee Shop, WalMart will get the money, even
though it is *our* money and we don't want WalMart in our community!

Bitcoin provides a sort of refuge from this foul system, an escape
from trust and a separation from society. While it is indeed a great
leap forward, it is also in many ways a leap back to the late 19th
century USA when gold and silver ruled the roost. I believe a society
built around bitcoin as it is today would return to the same default
state as was seen in the US turn of the century. That is to say, a
world ruled by bitcoin would still have robber barons and still have
boom/bust cycles. Perhaps most concerning is the fact that this
combination could lead again to central banking as it did for the US
in 1913.

I would like to see an app for my iThing where I can decide what
businesses are worthy to hold my spending money. 15% in Jean's Coffee,
25% in The People's Pint, 20% in Vally Steal Stamp and so on. When
they do well and their share price increases, my wallet will gain
value, when they have a hard time and need to issue stock, I will
accept a loss of value, I will accept it because these will be
businesses which I *believe* in.

If we can teach people accept a loss in hard times, the brittleness
and tendency toward boom/bust cycles of the financial system as we
know it will fade. If we can teach people that where their money sits
is as important as which businesses they patronize, robber barons will
be punished by the community through withdrawel of support. Finally,
if we can teach the people that money at rest is the most powerful
form of political speech, the people will never again accept banking
as we know it today.

Thanks,
Caleb