Til: System undo crew
Emne: [unSYSTEM] Fwd: [Inkubator DiMe] 30C3 –30th Chaos Communication Congress
This is of interest to the people in this list, I am sure.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mathias Fuchs <mathias.fuchs@???>
Date: Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM

0C3 Call for Participation (EN)
30C3 – 30th Chaos Communication Congress
December 27th–30th 2013, CCH, Hamburg
30C3 is the 2013 edition of the Chaos Communication Congress, the Chaos
Computer Club’s international conference and hacker party.
During the four days between Christmas and New Year’s Eve, thousands of
technology enthusiasts, tinkerers, artists, utopians and <foo> from Europe
and all over the world come together at the Congress Center Hamburg (CCH)
to exchange ideas, learn and party together. Participants engage with
topics covering information technology, computer security, the
make-and-break scene, critically constructive ways of dealing with
technology and its effects on our societies.
The lecture programme review and selection process will be put on a new
basis this year. Submitted talk proposals will be selected by content teams
in charge of one of the following tracks:

- Art & Beauty

- Ethics, Society & Politics

- Crafting & Making

- Security & Safety

- Science & Engineering.

*Tracks* Art & Beauty
Computers can be used to create art and beauty. This track is for all those
lectures and installations dealing with creative approaches to culture,
music and art.
Crafting & Making
This track is about all those tools designed to turn the digital into the
physical. We are looking forward to any submissions by those who, when they
speak of cloud hacking, actually mean making it rain, who see e-bikes as a
transport layer, and who happily forward viruses from their inbox to their
dna sequencer.
Ethics, Society & Politics
This track is about ethics, society and politics in the digital age. This
includes submissions dealing with the dangers of technology in politics and
society as well as the threats that politics pose for the digital society.
At the same time, aside from fear and danger, we are interested in examples
of happiness and hope for a better world through the interaction of
technology and politics.
Science & Engineering
This track is for all those who don’t think Knuth was a cute polar bear at
the Berlin zoo. Submissions containing exoskeletons and “bleeding edge”
research – anything cool that comes out of universities – as well as DIY
experiments that aren’t about typical making belong in this track. You’ve
solved the halting problem? Submit!
Security & Safety
This track gathers people and groups who wish to describe or discuss
technical computer related safety and security. We are interested in
everything suitable to develop or bypass security mechanisms. This is not
limited to software systems, this year the committee is especially
interested in hardware topics. Technical weaknesses, tools, techniques and
allied research all belong in this track.
Assemblies
Assemblies are places where communities of interest can meet in the core
of the congress. They are comparable to villages at the various hacker
camps. We will have lots of space again, so larger installations will be
possible. The assemblies will be organized in the public Wiki.
Self-understanding of the 30C3
The CCC runs the congress with the help of self-organized volunteer teams
and on its own funds. We are proud of this and we are looking forward to
once again being able to put together a congress with no external
influences and no need for self-censorship. We regard this event as one of
the few places where a global exchange using the creative-critical approach
to technology and society is possible without censorship.
We are not providing a stage to secret services or other state
organisations. However, based on our concept and on the fact that work is
done on a voluntary basis, a thorough advance screening of participants and
speakers is not possible.
It goes without saying that everyone attending the conference should be
treated with respect and consideration. A significant proportion of
delegates and speakers value their privacy, the integrity of their own data
and their photographic likenesses. Those who attach less importance to
personal agency in these matters are in a stronger position. We therefore
ask them to respect the feelings and wishes of others.
Submission Guidelines For talks and workshops:
Please send us a description of your suggested talk that is as complete as
possible. The description is of particularly importance to the selection,
so please ensure it is as clear as possible. Quality takes precedence over
quantity. Due to the non-commerical nature of the Congress, presentations
which aim to market or promote commerical products or entities will not be
entertained.
As it is likely that that there will be multiple submissions about the
same topic, please show us exactly why your talk should be part of the
conference. Please write something about yourself, your environment and
your motivation. It does not matter if the talk has been held at another
conference, All it has to be is up to date.
Talks should be no longer than 45 minutes plus 15 minutes for question and
answers. Longer slots are possible in principle. There are 20-minute slots
as well. Please tell us the proposed length of your talk at the time of
submission. In addition, there are 5-minute short talks (so-called
Lightning Talks) for small ideas, projects or rants. These will only be
organised during the event.
For projects, installations and other fun things:
A formal submission is not required. Once again there willl be a Wiki where
needs for space and other resources will be collected. Simply start
considering now what you would like to make, bring or show, before that
Wiki goes online. We have a lot of space and we are open for crazy and
surprising stuff.
Language of the presentation:
Although 30C3 is an international conference and a lot of content is being
presented in English, this year there will again be a translation team
which will simultaneously translate most German talks into English. So if
you are not completely comfortable with presenting in English, please feel
free to present your lecture in German. Please also use the language of
your presentation for its title, so as not to confuse any visitors.
Publication:
Audio and video recordings of the lectures will be published online in
various formats under the license CC Attribution 3.0
Germany<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/de/>
(CC BY 3.0 DE). This license allows commercial use of excerpts by media
institutions as part of their reporting. If you do not wish material of
your lecture to be published or streamed, please let us know in your
submission. Note: As German law and therefore the license might differ from
the law of your country please let us know if you should have any issues or
questions regarding the exact implications. Unfortunately we can’t provide
a bullet-proof translation.
Travel, costs & visa
Chaos Communication Congress is a non-commercial event, where neither the
organisers nor the speakers are being paid. If necessary, we are however
able to provide some support regarding travel costs and accomodation.
If you need help applying for a visa, such as an official invitation to
present at the German embassy, please let the content team know well in
advance. Please be aware that the visa application procedure may take up to
six weeks.
Dates & deadlines:

- September 15, 2013 (23:59 UTC): Deadline for submissions
- November 15, 2013: Notification of acceptance
- December 27–30, 2013: Chaos Communication Congress

Online submissions only:
All submissions of lectures and workshops have to be entered into our
conference planning system, which is located at the following URL:
https://frab.cccv.de/cfp/30C3.
Please follow the instructions there. If you have any questions regarding
the submission, you are welcome to contact us via email at 30c3-content(at)
cccv.de.

--
Prof. Dr. Mathias Fuchs
Leuphana University Lüneburg