:: Re: [Bricolabs] Information and Opi…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Felipe Fonseca
Aan: brico
Onderwerp: Re: [Bricolabs] Information and Opinions [Brazil]
Oi Andres, all Bricos

I can tell you that here in Brasil we're having a hard time wrapping our
heads around everything that is happening and their manifold
implications. Personally, I have the feeling that our expanded networks
were at first excited with the possibilities and the potential impact of
the demonstrations. Especially, it must be said, after some journalists
were beat by the police and the mainstream media stopped supporting the
police/state. But that comes with consequences: with media support, the
more socially-aware demands were gradually substituted for a more
general discourse about morality in politics, against political parties
in general, especially those wearing red flags and used to go to the
streets. So in a sense what could be seen as a movement demandind those
which are historic left-wing topics was appropriated by a supposedly
(according to mainstrem media) 'apolitical' series of protests. What
followed were episodes of right-wing, even some neonazi groups goingo to
the streets, burning red flags (in favour of green/yellow, 'national'
ones), lots of senseless violence taking place, etc. Some people were
actually seeing parallels with the march of the families with god for
freedom that preceded the military coupe d'etat in 1964...

Too early to say we won, as people are still going to the streets. Some
are saying we ought to notice the inversion of demands, but should
persist and keep going to avoid letting the whole mobilization in the
hands of the wrong people. Demonstrations can offer good education on
politics, diversity and self-management (it worked for me).

efe