:: [Bricolabs] Reminder/update: Maalan…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: andrew paterson
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Bricolabs
Aihe: [Bricolabs] Reminder/update: Maaland: Open call for (remote?) participation 13-18.7.
Hi Bricos!
As we have limited budget (for 1-2 people from outside Baltic-Nordic
region)
This is mostly an extended invite to those of you in Bricolab network
who are nourishing a bit of land somewhere, and wish to make a
connection remotely during those days.

If you are based in EU, and are very keen to join us physically, do let
me know, and we see what is possible.

I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible as it's now less
than 1 month to the event.

my best,
andrew

*
Renewable worklab, in cooperation with RIXC Centre for New Media Culture
<http://renewable.rixc.lv>, 13-18th July 2013, Kimito, SW Finland*

What does it mean to have a piece of land to experiment upon, to care
for, and have responsibility under/over/inbetween? The land is a
substrate for organisms under/over and inbetween it's surface. It is a
double-bind relationship: The land looks after you, and you look after
the land. It's Maaland.* In Finland, many people own small pieces of
land and forest, often inherited.. Literally, passed-along family trees.
Imagine it may be possible to de-fragment the land, bringing it under
common management, like a hard-disk. What would be the protocols of
access and retrieval of information? What might be the open-source
'code', 'hardware' or 'wetware' that comes with the land?

Organised within the context of Pixelversity 2013
<http://www.pixelache.ac/pixelversity/programme-2013> theme
'Techno-ecologies', including resilient agricultural infrastructure,
art+bio-science collaborations, agroforestry, open hardware, and Commons
management, we make an *Open Call for Participation* to engage with us
in the above subjects or initiates infrastructure which can support the
exploration of these subjects.

We plan to set up situation where people can join for 1-5 days to our
"think-tank/tieto-talkoot/land-survey -style" practice-based &
information-gathering research.

Contact *maaland [-at-] pixelache.ac* to express your interest in
joining the event *before 13.7.*

Please note we have a budget which can support some land or sea travel,
although local and regional participants are prioritised. There is also
the option of making a remote contribution via Skype/Google Hangout or
sending video-clip (3-5min) sharing documentation of your 'maaland'
(i.e. land used for renewable art/+science/+energy experiments.. Or,
indeed/importantly, the good living/buen vivir!

We can support host a group of up to 15 persons from different
backgrounds and interests at Kimito-proto-dojo house, on
Kemiönsaari/Kimitoön <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimito%C3%B6n> in
South-west Finland, to explore the double-bind relationship of looking
after land from different perspectives. Our host venue is
'Kimito-proto-dojo' house, a personal house of 2 families, and includes
a wood/materials workshop, mini-fablab, indoor & outdoor
workspaces. Lodging can be experimental, including tents & shelters.
Food will be collectively organised, and participants will be expected
to help with food preparation, serving and cleaning up duties.

*Please note that 13-14.7. are arrival days, and actual activities begin
15.7.
*

Related blog-post:
http://www.pixelache.ac/blog/2013/maaland-open-call-for-workshops-13-18-7/

.

* Maaland combines both the Finnish & Swedish words for land used in SW
Finland.

--

andrew gryf paterson
http://agryfp.info/