:: Re: [Bricolabs] after festival, ho…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: James Wallbank
Dátum:
Címzett: brico
Tárgy: Re: [Bricolabs] after festival, how was Bricolabs activity in Pixelache ?
Hello All,

After a few days to decompress, I would also like to add my voice to the
general chorus of "Bravo!" for another Bricolabs meeting, and I'd like
to reflect PixelAche's gracious and welcoming hosting of the event.

The smell of Bricolabs is certainly still present - in fact, I am
starting to detect it in unexpected places. But I still can't help
getting the feeling that, at this stage in the game, we are all somewhat
at a loss to see how to go forward. Bricos have clear values, and
positive impulses towards DIY, relocalisation, critical engagement,
creative practices, empowering relationships with technologies (where
they are possible) and see the value of playful, exploratory activity,
both for the participant, and for the insights that may emerge.

Yet I sense that we (all of us individually, and us as a loose group)
are finding our values more and more marginal to the conventional,
spectacular world of the mainstream arts and media, increasingly
disconnecting from academia, and at odds with conventional political and
economic discourse.

I also sense that the major action that the Bricolabs Network will
catalyse (or precipitate?) has not yet happened.

* Can I prove any of this? No.
* Do I have quantative evidence and a robust research methodology? No.
* Do I sense that this is the case? Yes.

There is not even a name for the practices, methodologies and
relationships that Bricolabs advocate. (And this may be for the best.)
Pixelache call themselves a "transdisciplinary platform for experimental
art, design, research and activism" and this phrase certainly reeks of
the Brico smell... But somehow, this seems to align uncomfortably
closely with research. I feel that there is something else - a spiritual
dimension (not articulated but implied) by John Hopkins and others,
about finding a new way to thrive in a world which is increasingly out
of balance.

Personally, I'm starting to think more and more about possibilities for
"making your own entertainment" - the significance of (real world)
do-it-yourself, in-person games, and play for its own sake, (distinct
from spectacularised professional sports, pyramids of corporate video
game power, and other such pass times that strip away of agency and
marginalise peer relationships).

Hmmm... Just thoughts. I shall now snap back into "advanced manufacture"
mode and see if I can craft some words to unlock some financial support. ;-)

All the best - and stay positive!

James

P.S. Ubatuba? I'm in.
=====