:: Re: [unSYSTEM] IMEI number on mobil…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Juraj Bednar
To: System undo crew
Betreff: Re: [unSYSTEM] IMEI number on mobile phones
Hi,

> But of course
> GSM localization is still possible and some deanonymization techniques can be
> used, especially if you carry your phone every day from your home to your
> office or have some other repetitive patterns that can be used for
> deanonymization.

These deanonymization techniques are not a vague threat, they are very
real. Here police does NOT NEED a warrant for localization of your
phone.

Your movement is like fingerprint, much more reliable than an IMEI you
can change or SIM card ID.

If you change both and then go to your favorite restaurant to buy a
tasty "Middle East Burger" and from there to your favorite hackerspace,
you are busted.

Unless you change your movement patterns precisely at the same moment
as both your SIM and IMEI, you are done.

That's why I would really love Funkfeuer and similar projects to succeed
and provide anonymous Internet for people. It does not even have to
be free, Bitcoins can keep you anonymous, but pay the network operators
a small fee.

I like what Fon is doing, except:
- it's not anonymous
- when you join a Fon spot, there's that ugly splash screen that you
need to go through.

If you solve a roaming issue and for example buy a token of access every
30 days and use it as a password for EAP/802.1x that works
automatically, I would not believe I am not having a wet dream.

I hate carrying a tracking device with me. But I love to have a
working communication device with me at all times.

I guess there's not enough market demand for that. Do we need more
surveillance until people realize they need a more anonymous
communication infrastructure? My bet - sadly we do.

    J.