:: Re: [Bricolabs] brico-meeting @pixe…
Top Pagina
Auteur: victoria sinclair
Aan: Bricolabs
Onderwerp: Re: [Bricolabs] brico-meeting @pixelache 2013 - discuss/apply NOW
hey John!

i love your quotes and the work...having problems today with any links

i really agree with what you chose to say....i did a workshops yesterday
and it was all about facilitating about 7 different different timetables, 2
languages, moments of extreme mobile phone use all at one moment when lots
of calls came in and just sitting, being,and somehow deciding when we had
had enough teaching and learning together....thankfully not linked to any
institution and the way i feel things work these days and already some good
feedback....all in what would be described by some as
unquantifiable...especially if people were trying to assess what we do

so - there comes a brico challenge. If a group of young people were to
participate in or with pixelache in helsinki how could this come about?
the amounts of checks and balances and attempts at benchmarking for taking
young people anywhere are dizzying....are there any younger hacklab
members? or groups we have affiliation with? what is the definition of a
young person? in the world social forum it extends to people under 30
years of age...maybe because no-one under 20 would turn up if aimed at
under 20s .....mmmm....

it would be amazing to assist some younger people to bring forward issues
and thinking to pixelache. One thing that does interest most young people
involved in projects i have worked with is the opportunity to travel....so,
if Bricos were wanting to have some sort of p2p learning that involves
young people how could it actually be supported?

john - i am sending you some mental quantic valium! enjoy! its like
having children but you just have loads of them in bursts.....oh and black
sesame seeds to prevent the grey hairs

btw regarding the not being thanked in the closing circle...yep....you know
sometimes i have done projects and just been thankful that i saw reactions
rather than nothing....especially with teenagers...sometimes we are just
the evil person and the best we can do is to be empty or to assist
exploration of whatever whim (or is it a whim?) arises.....then around 5
years later i have been out and about and see some of the young people from
the most challenging projects and they are happy, friendly, proud and
grateful and the best thing is that they really want to tell me what they
are doing in their lives.    some people didnt like my way of working
because it is not regimented because i feel i am just there to bit a
conduit for what they need to express and to make sure it doesnt get to the
point of getting totally out of control but if people cannot explore the
boundaries and express anger then i think we didnt help to create a useful
space.

And that's why i have seen hacklabs be amazing for young people. we
worked with quite a lot of excluded young people in arcspace in manchester
and the young people were kissing my hand and saying they wanted to work
there because we treated them like humans and not imbecilies and they
thought we were a bit weird but generally more loving and open to what they
were used to. they didnt cross the line, their assigned workers wanted
them to come back more and felt it was a paradigm but guess
what....surprise...no more funding for the workers in the current climate
and i wont go into the headstate for many from those projects that ensued...

also we have brought quite a lot of the free software movement in to do
specific workshops with black middle aged community members or kids and
really to see the baptism of fire for hackers to present to groups that
would not be their comfort zone affinity group is beautiful. it can
really assist confidence building and empathy awareness ....

mmmm - does anyone know how we could tangible involve young people in
pixelache? most young people are quite angry because they are intuitive
beings who know they are being lied to....and maybe it really is our duty
to ensure that they have peers and mentors to discuss this with in a
positive environment

the deadline for pixelache has already passed but am sure felipe sent
something very eloquent in as a submission.    what about the young people?

vx