:: Re: [Bricolabs] Hacking/Hacktivism?…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: John Hopkins
Dátum:
Címzett: Bricolabs
Tárgy: Re: [Bricolabs] Hacking/Hacktivism? advice for disturbing the Beast's Belly ...
ei Big J!

> I second Stephen's suggestion, Biella is amazing.
> now go Blame Canada :^)
> and neural.it is very good too BTW.

very good, I find her work very compelling, to be sure, and have assigned two texts

> there are even more italian iniatives worth mentioning, the Digitcult
> magazine for one has often highlights of wisdom and english pages.

it's incredible how unknown such threads are in the US -- or seems to be imho...
and kids are surprised when they discover that the old Empire ain't doing as
well as many other places in the world...

> said that, I understand John's worries, myself recently visiting
> repeatedly the USA and interacting with the youth there, I've seen what
> he means and for parents to blame the pot they smoke is just too easy
> and superficial. I have to apologize for not writing a diary of

Actually, in Colorado, pot is all but legal and so it's the parents smoking, not
the kids -- my next door neighbor has an open greenhouse in the back yard filled
with perhaps 100 plants. That's legal... and I can go down the road to a
dispensary for whatever is necessary... (though I haven't gotten a "green card"
yet from a participating MD yet...) The kids here in Boulder are among the most
privileged in the country -- parents are scientists and engineers, academics,
wealthy second-generation hippies driving hybrid SUVs, high-end athletes, you
name it... and the kids have everything they could want, the definition of
entitlement.

Ah, dunno, I face them tomorrow with this:

Coleman, G., 2012 The Ethics of digital direct action. Al Jazeera.
http://neoscenes.net/teach/cu/2012_2/atls2000_mit/pdfs/Coleman-2012-The_Ethics_of_digital_direct_action.pdf

Coleman, G., 2012. Our Weirdness is Free. May, (9).
http://neoscenes.net/teach/cu/2012_2/atls2000_mit/pdfs/Coleman-2012-Our_Weirdness_is_Free.pdf

Libicki, M., 2009. Cyberdeterence and Cyberwar. (Summary)
http://neoscenes.net/teach/cu/2012_2/atls2000_mit/pdfs/Libicki-2009-Cyberdeterence_and_Cyberwar-summary.pdf

(this is a declassified soft RAND doc summary -- the full doc is quite
comprehensive)...

They complain I'm too negative about technology when I talk about the military.

& btw, was a meeting with the prez of http://www.digitalglobe.com/ on Monday...
argh, 75% of his BIG business is under 'Top Secret' rubric... thank you...

> experiences, I am dropping a lot of non-remunerated writing tasks these
> days, due to unemployement, lack of time etc. and in a close future I'll
> be even worst, entering a deep Ph.D. (phuckin doctor) writing period.

oh, god, J. -- good luck with that final push. I'm not quite done with the last
bureaucratic (and mostly minor) hurdles on mine, but I don't have the piece of
paper quite yet... That will be a relief -- I have three sequestered bottles of
Herradura Añejo Tequila lined up for the celebration!

> at last for those navigating the commercial-info-space, I've recently
> setup a Brico-gateway to Twitter http://twitter.com/Bricolabs.net maybe
> useful for some hipsters to hook up with us (in case we want hipsters)

hmm, tried that link, but no go...

I am bummed out that you folks are only about 700km away over some fabulous
landscape -- with this place about half-way in between Boulder and Albuquerque:

http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/archives/category/project/center-of-the-universe

the Center of the Universe (self-named) that I stumbled on while doing
geophysics research in the region more than 30 years ago... I've been visiting
it almost every year since... I'd dig a shared brico cheroot of local variety on
those premises some day. Turn you on at 3000m!

Cheers,
JH

John Hopkins
Watching the Tao rather than watching the Dow!
http://neoscenes.net/
http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/