:: [Bricolabs] Hacking/Hacktivism? adv…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: John Hopkins
À: brico
Anciens-sujets: Re: [Bricolabs] cure is open source
Sujet: [Bricolabs] Hacking/Hacktivism? advice for disturbing the Beast's Belly ...
Ei folks --

As I told you, I'm teaching an undergraduated course "Meaning of Information
Technology" here at the Uni in Boulder -- there are some CS/IT/EE students among
the wide range of majors represented, but their ideas about hacking are VERY
limited (though they think they are grand and universal ;-)

Any advice? :: what sources/resources can I point them to -- to blow their minds??

Otherwise I'm having some fun, and there are some of the 40 kids who are awake
or awakening. Some are not. Being an upper-middle-class American kid these days
is a crazy pathway, given the control that media plays in their lives -- and the
very unbalanced way of living that that media promotes. On the first day of
class, I told them that they are the subjects of industrial education. And
asked, what can we do to make our encounter humane, balanced, sustainable, and
energized...? We are now implementing things that should forge a pathway to
knowledge and perhaps even a bit of wisdom.

The evolving syllabus (which doesn't give much info as to the actual dialogues
that are happening in class session) will be a map of where we were when done. I
did record one 75-minute session that I will perhaps upload. I've missed
recording two sessions because the students are arriving 30 minutes BEFORE class
because they know I am already there: conversations start at that point, and by
the time every one is there, I've long since forgotten to turn the recorder on....

ANYWAY, I appreciate the earlier resource suggestions last month -- and I
appreciate the support -- the task to crack open an energized space within the
US system in its current condition is not easy. Obama and Romney are showing up
live somewhere around here every other day, and much money and attention spent
on the madness that forms around power.

On a side note, I will be curious to hear from people visiting ISEA in
Albuquerque from the outside -- I hope some of you do write your observations
here on brico -- I would love to hear the perspective! As perspective tends to
be limited in the Belly of the Beast ...

Cheers,
John

John Hopkins
Watching the Tao rather than watching the Dow!
http://neoscenes.net/
http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/