:: Re: [Bricolabs] texts: IOT et al...
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Molly Hankwitz
A: Bricolabs
Asunto: Re: [Bricolabs] texts: IOT et al...
hi john,
i was going to recommend Hayles, too, actually.
my suggestion is, make a study guide for each reading and make it part of
their grade, if possible. something they have to turn in. this gets them to
read.it can be a few pages, with fill in questions, or short answers,
multiple choice. its a good way to review the texts yourself. hope this is
ok, for me to suggest this..
molly

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 5:40 PM, <jhopkins@???> wrote:

> Hei Patrick. Matthew, August
>
> > There are some details of a course I taught until reecently which might
> > give you an intreating perspective to cover in "meaning of information
> > technology" at
> > Www.paych.lse.ac.uk/~patrick/ps445<http://Www.paych.lse.ac.uk/%7Epatrick/ps445>
>
> I think that's http://www.psych.lse.ac.uk/~patrick/ps445
>
> > Happy explorations
>
> thanks for the pointers!
>
> Matthew, yes, thanks, I added Hayles, in the next week I have to decide
> WHICH of all this stuff I will assign -- I've found, the last time I was
> teaching in the US, it was a chalenge to get US students to read
> anything!
>
> August -- I definitely had Shannon, but hadn't added it to that library
> yet... I'll cover coding, to be sure, from linguistic, technical,
> control, and social points-of-view, though we don't have the time to go
> into it (it's a seminar versus studio course -- I'd like it better to be
> doing things as well as talking about things!) (I'm intrigued about your
> statement that the (function?) of coding-as-information is
> counter-intuitive/directly at odds with a normative definition of
> information -- can you expand on that?)
>
> Cheers & thanks again,
> John
>

> --

*Molly Hankwitz *lives in San Francisco, California where she is a
researcher, writer, artist, and curator of new technologies and
experimental media. She was the principal research architect in the now
completed ad hoc design and research collaboration, Archimedia, (with David
Cox) from 1998 to 2007 and has worked at numerous festivals including Ars
Electronica, Multimedia Arts Asia Pacific and electronfringe festival in
Newcastle, Australia. In 2010, she co-curated the open wireless and
locative media arts exhibition, citycentered.org and in 2011, completed a
Ph.D. in Media and communications from Queensland University of Technology.
She is interested in networked political dimensions of social technologies
and questions of aesthetics and history in electronic media.

http://mollyhankwitz.org