:: Re: [Bricolabs] Invitation to contr…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Molly Hankwitz
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Bricolabs
Aihe: Re: [Bricolabs] Invitation to contribute 'white words'
hello bricolabs,
i'm one of the evil people, a renegade academic for the moment, who has put
in an 'abstract' to the white papers call.
very interesting what everyone here says and while i agree with some, not
all, universities need outside input or they will no doubt lack
knowledge...i responded to Roger's post on YASMIN very quickly - still
looking, as it were, for compatriots to design the abstract further, if
anyone is interested. this would, indeed, constitute an international
collaboration and
lord knows, the humanities need support from all relevant knowledge-worthy
sectors. so, not to throw baby out with bathwater, can we not construe the
placement of an abstract as an intervention, into what may prove to be a
tired old, knowledge depleted reality, and go from there? my abstract is
about the university system broadening its scope to engage the public
sector (US focused, albeit, we are losing our schools and universities to
privatized research models)
i'm interested in hackers linking with so called "academics" and hacking
old knowledge objects into new ones...or trying to quantify, in some way,
citizens' science and citizen's art, relating to environmental science. any
takers?
molly

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 12:14 AM, Patrice Riemens <patrice@???> wrote:

> > Hei Bronac --
> >
> >> Roger Malina has generated a process to gather views and opinions on how
> >> best
> >> to encourage art and science, engineering and design collaborations
> >> internationally. I'm figuring out if I can write something and how to
> >> write
> >> it currently. But he is generally concerned that overall most of the
> >> expressed will relate mostly to the so called 'academy' and wants a
> >> broader
> >> mix. I wondered if this call may be of interest to Bricos. It seems you
> >> can
> >
> > I had seen the call on the SEAD list
> > (http://sead.viz.tamu.edu/about/about.html)
> > but decided not to contribute an abstract as it had too much the sheen of
> > academic 'papering' -- this despite being very interested. With Roger
> > saying
> > that they are looking for a broader mix, that's encouraging, but now I'm
> > not
> > sure I have the time -- I wish they would have included a non-academic
> > spin with
> > the original 'white (or 'position') paper' call.
> > http://sead.viz.tamu.edu/projects/white_papers.html (which also, related
> > to its
> > NSF funding source, seemed US-centric). To be sure, what they were asking
> > for is
> > interesting!
> >
> > Look, if you do write something, let me know -- I would be happy to look
> > it over
> > and give feedback in the next couple weeks (I'm house-sitting for friends
> > in far
> > western Colorado for two weeks -- a beautiful location -- before getting
> > back
> > into teaching after some years of the PhD slog... ;-)
> >
> > cheers,
> > John
> >
> > --
>
> Good stuff, and I agree with John.
>
> Immo, academia is, as a rule, no longer the place where knowledge
> 'happens' - and where it feels happy. We should square to that fact and
> resolutely embrace the new DIY, DIFO (Do It For Ourselves :-) approach.
> Academic and para-academic institutions can of course be of invaluable
> support - if our relation to them is that of a parasite to a host.
>
> Cheers patrizio & Diiiinooos!
> (long time academics, mind you)
>
> PS My pal Rolf Pixley called the Uni of Amsterdam once a 'KFZ', a
> Knowledge Free Zone. And regarding relationships, Jeremy Paxman (BBC
> Newsnight) famously stated that "the proper relation between a journalist
> and a politician is that of a dog to a lamppost" ... You get the flavor.

**

*Molly Hankwitz *lives in San Francisco, California where she is a mother,
a curator, a writer and an artist of new media art. She was a principal
artist in the now completed ad hoc design and research collaboration,
Archimedia, (with David Cox) from 1998 to 2007. In 2010, she co-curated the
open wireless and locative media arts exhibition, citycentered.org and in
2011 she completed a Ph.D. in Media and communications from Queensland
University of Technology. She is interested in networked political
dimensions of social technologies and questions of aesthetics and history
in electronic media development.

mollyhankwitz.org