:: Re: [Frei0r] 4 new plugins announce…
Página Inicial
Autor: Dan Dennedy
Para: Minimalistic plugin API for video effects
Assunto: Re: [Frei0r] 4 new plugins announcement
On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 11:26 PM, Marko Cebokli <s57uuu@???> wrote:
> Wouldn't it be simpler to just prescribe the use of byte pointers?
> The speed penalty on modern CPUs is probably minimal, especially as most of
> them are now 64 bit, and 32bit accesses can be unaligned too - and cache lines
> are even bigger than 64.

Well, this is what I prefer to use as well, but there is existing
uint32_t* code that might get fixed someday, and not everyone does
things the same way or has read and heeded that one little we add
somewhere in a comment that says to use byte pointer. Also, if someone
uses asm with SIMD, they could find it useful.

> Marko Cebokli
>
> On Monday 11 June 2012 01:50:05 salsaman wrote:
>> Yes, Solaris is tricky because it can run on Sparc (bigendian) or PC
>> (littleendian) I think.
>>  Maybe fall back to the runtime check in that case.

The problem is that they are different codes:

#if F0R_BYTE_ORDER == F0R_LITTLE_ENDIAN

vs.

if (F0R_LITTLE_ENDIAN)

So, I suggest we just leave out the exception for Solaris until we get a patch.