:: Re: [Frei0r] 4 new plugins announce…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Dan Dennedy
A: Minimalistic plugin API for video effects
Assumpte: Re: [Frei0r] 4 new plugins announcement
On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 8:47 AM, salsaman <salsaman@???> wrote:
> Hi Jaromil,
> maybe its a good time to look at the endianness issue - at least add
> the #defines into frei0r.h.

I modified your previous proposal to include more well-defined OS
detection based on this:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/predef/index.php?title=Operating_Systems

#ifndef _WIN32
#ifndef sun
#include <endian.h>
#define F0R_BYTE_ORDER __BYTE_ORDER
#define F0R_LITTLE_ENDIAN __LITTLE_ENDIAN
#define F0R_BIG_ENDIAN __BIG_ENDIAN

#else // Solaris or SunOS
#endif

#else // Windows
#define F0R_LITTLE_ENDIAN 1
#define F0R_BIG_ENDIAN 0
#define F0R_BYTE_ORDER F0R_LITTLE_ENDIAN
#endif

--
Note I changed the IS_ prefix to a F0R_ with a zero to be consistent
with other defines in the header. What should we do about sun?

There is interesting discussion on stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2100331/c-macro-definition-to-determine-big-endian-or-little-endian-machine

A much later comment suggested this, which looks elegant:

#define F0R_LITTLE_ENDIAN (*(uint16_t*)"\0\1">>8)
#define F0R_BIG_ENDIAN (*(uint16_t*)"\1\0">>8)

However, they are macros and not for the pre-processor so when used
within a loop will degrade performance.