:: Re: [dyne:bolic] NEW Release: dyne:…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Jaromil
A: dynebolic mailinglist
Assumpte: Re: [dyne:bolic] NEW Release: dyne:bolic 3.0.0 codename MUNIR

re all,

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011, Lisandro Peralta wrote:

> dude.. is it beta yet? i've downloaded it and it says beta...

ok let me explain. if you remember with dyne:bolic 2 we've had many
releases following the first major:

2.3.0 , 2.3.1 , 2.3.2

2.5.0 , 2.5.1 , 2.5.2

etc.

lets label this numbers now, for example in 2.5.1:

2 - MAJOR release version (like in dyne:II), now is 3 :)

5 - BUILD release version (which now is 0)

1 - BUGFIX release version

historically for us the change of the BUGFIX number on the right side
was always a quick fix, thanks to the feedback given by you :)

the BUILD number was always someone a new recompilation of core
libraries and a somehow more relevant upgrade of functionalities on
top of the same MAJOR core.

now we will follow the same scheme, but we will tag as "beta" every
release which is not the last one of the BUILD versions.

This means that I'm expecting to receive some feedback - please do! :)
and then make fixes which will lead to the next 3.0.1 release. When
the 3.0.x will be done and it won't be interesting to update it
anymore, that will be tagged stable, lets say it can be the 3.0.1 or
3.0.2 or even the 3.0.0 if there are no bugs - can't believe it! ;)

why this? because at every new BUILD then new bugs can come in the
distribution and we need to warn people wanting to publish dyne:bolic
around if it is a well tested build or not.

said that, i think another reason is that BETA is a state of mind :)
as the poetess Diane di Prima used to say... we are unfinished :)
in other words... in the same river flow, we are and we are not :)

ahahah

ciao

--
jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org
GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F 5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39