:: Re: [dyne:bolic] dyne:bolic 3.0 bet…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Jaromil
Oggetto: Re: [dyne:bolic] dyne:bolic 3.0 beta 4 - experienced testing welcome!

hi Guy,

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011, sayhi2guy@??? wrote:
> Hi
>
> These are my initial
> thoughts/ experiences of dyne III
>
> The default boot did not work on my main system (message: 'could not
> access pid file for mndb')but the failsafe boot did.

i need to look into these issues more, some of them are related to
boot scripts, some others (not this one) to graphical driver

so far my experience with the linux-libre kernel is that, besides
being very stable and its operation very transparent, it supports way
less graphical hardware. new computers just leave us with a console
screen and error.

to conclude regarding the graphical incompatibilities, i think this is
OK as long as it warns us about non-free hardware. the reason why
hardware need closed-source binary blobs and firmware is to implement
some weird "digital rights management" that tries to lock people from
playing back copied video and audio files... its weird how the
industry is still trying to do this, flooding the market with hardware
we should not buy.

i hope the new version of dynebolic running on linux-libre will help
us also to choose well when buying hardware.

> I am really an audio user and was very happy Jack was rock solid
> with no x-runs running ardour & hydrogen - my sound card (audigy SE)
> can be very unstable with some systems, no problems here. d;b
> outperforms a lot of distros here.

good to hear this :D

> I could not see how to configure sound cards and there is no
> alsaconf script, This is a problem when not using jack because the
> system chooses the internal sound over the PCI sound card.

ACK

> Software Suggestsions:
> * checkinstall
> not present on this one? Very useful time saving tool!

yea, good old one

> * Some kind
> of soundfont loader please (fluidsynth/ Qsynth?)
> * I would love to see
> the Hydrogen drumkits package added as that is where all the best
> Hydrogen sounds are.

ACK

> * Not a priority I'm sure but Libre Office is the
> real community project now, rather than open office.

pure:dyne is still based on ubuntu 8 and there is open office as the
latest version considered free was. later updates will have libre
office for sure!

let us know if you find any binary package of libre office for ubuntu
8 or pure:dyne, i guess it should be built...

> * I would love to see muse sequencer on d;b. It has a lot less
> dependencies than rosegarden & handles soundfonts far better.

OK

> Initial impressions: excellent. I will try and do some recording,
> mixing, etc on it & report back any issues this throws up.

thanks ! :D

> Question: as this is based on Pure Dyne will this support
> persistence through a live-rw partition on a pen drive like Pure
> Dyne does?

yes! and soon i'll hack into the boot scripts to have docking as
well.. the plan is to keep the old behaviour PLUS the installation
and PLUS this live-rw persistence system.

maybe it will have to change slightly just to support encryption in a
more natural and default way...

ciao