:: Re: [dyne:bolic] dyne:bolic 3.0 bet…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: sayhi2guy@tiscali.co.uk
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dynebolic
Αντικείμενο: Re: [dyne:bolic] dyne:bolic 3.0 beta 4 - experienced testing welcome!

16:58
>To: <dynebolic@???>
>Subj: [dyne:bolic] dyne:bolic

3.0 beta 4 - experienced testing welcome!

>re all,
>
>it has

finally come the time we all look together at what is going to
>be the

dyne:III development cycle for the dyne:bolic operating system,
>so

please, if you have some experience of GNU/Linux desktop systems
>and

some hardware to try it on, take time to look around and comment
>on

these ISO files up for download from some of our kind mirrors:

>http://ljudmila.org/~jaromil/dyneIII/
>
>                  (Thanks to Ljudmila

Medialab!)

>http://m5.notomorrow.de/dyne/>
>http://m3.notomorrow.de/dyne/>
>                (Thanks to... FNORD!)

>you will

find an ISO that is not yet final and not yet for public
>circulation:

we need to have a round of feedback on this one from
>users that knew

dyne:bolic before...

>this new major version features a core based on

pure:dyne carrot &
>coriander, cleaned up to be 100% free (no

proprietary software, binary
>blobs, thing that we don't clearly know

what they are doing under ur
>ass while computing...) but still there

might be something to clean up
>(suggest!) since we really want to get

rid of spyware, bloatware and
>things that encourage users to buy,

consume and become zombies.

>one of the technical spotlights under

the hood is that we now run
>on... the Linux Kernel version 3! so we

follow the epic version :)
>more precisely, our kernel is cleaned up

(Linux-Libre) from binary
>blobs by the good people at FSF Latin

America and all around the
>world.
>
>so let us know whaddaya think by

replying to this thread and if you
>have applications that you think

should be removed/added/fixed to be
>present in core.
>
>we don't have

yet a system for modules (will come), but we have good
>encryption

software for personal data and some easy to install scripts
>which will

evolve with graphical interfaces. the thing should be well
>usable as a

live system, as usual, but can also be installed on the
>harddisk like

other GNU/Linux systems.

>also as usual dyne:bolic aims to contain

all tools needed for its
>development so you will find already

installed stuff to compile your
>own software and customize it.
>
>so

'nuff for now, give it a spin and consider the documentation is not

>yet finished... but ok after the 3.0 release we will have set the ball

>rolling and we will keep on with a series of new releases.. with your

>good help :)
>
>ciao
>

>p.s. if anyone is at the Chaos Communication

Camp in Berlin this week,
>come find us at the Dyne Village!
>http://events.ccc.de/camp/2011/wiki/Dyne>
>p.p.s the dyne:II series

(current stable version 2.5.2) has gone a
>      long time without an

update and its kernel should also be
>      replaced ASAP with Linux-

Libre, to eliminate more proprietary
>      drivers left in. we will do

that in the next month and we will
>      take offline the current ISO

as soon as the 3 is out, taking
>      some time to fix it.

>ciao
>

>--
>jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org>GPG: B2D9 9376

BFB2 60B7 601F 5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39

Hi

These are my initial
thoughts/ experiences of dyne III

The default boot did not work on my
main system (message: 'could not access pid file for mndb')but the
failsafe boot did.

I am really an audio user and was very happy
Jack was rock solid with no x-runs running ardour & hydrogen - my sound
card (audigy SE) can be very unstable with some systems, no problems
here. d;b outperforms a lot of distros here.

I could not see how to
configure sound cards and there is no alsaconf script, This is a
problem when not using jack because the system chooses the internal
sound over the PCI sound card.

Software Suggestsions:
* checkinstall
not present on this one? Very useful time saving tool!
* Some kind
of soundfont loader please (fluidsynth/ Qsynth?)
* I would love to see
the Hydrogen drumkits package added as that is where all the best
Hydrogen sounds are.
* Not a priority I'm sure but Libre Office is the
real community project now, rather than open office.
* I would love to
see muse sequencer on d;b. It has a lot less dependencies than
rosegarden & handles soundfonts far better.

Initial impressions:
excellent. I will try and do some recording, mixing, etc on it &
report back any issues this throws up.

Question: as this is based on
Pure Dyne will this support persistence through a live-rw partition on
a pen drive like Pure Dyne does?

Thanks
Guy