:: Re: [dyne:bolic] grub config with n…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: kaffer
A: dynebolic mailinglist
Assumpte: Re: [dyne:bolic] grub config with new iso
Hi Lukasz,

I have tried to install dyne 2.6.18 on an NTFS partition without
success. Seems to me, that grub doesn't handle NTFS correctly - in this
I'm not sure, maybe the reason of failure of booting is sometimes due to
not shutting down windows correctly or you have a permanent error on the
NTFS partition, try chkdsk to fix it. I installed dyne on several
machines onto FAT32 partition and that works ok even if there is an
error on that partition.

I haven't used Unetbootin, I have made dyne boot from USB pen by myself
- applying infos captured from the manual and from Stomfi's page.

Here is how I have done it:

Nearly all of the USB installs were done to Kingston DataTraveller type
by me, because it is fast and most pcs recognizes its HDD emulation
correctly. I used my laptop - HP - to create the dyne boot USB. I
plugged in the pendrive before switching on the laptop, this ensures on
HP laptops to recognize the pendrive as USB HDD. If you could do this
too, than the process is very easy. Dyne will recognize pen drive as
/dev/sdb1 for example and will mount it - mostly /mnt/hd2/1. Copy all
files from dyne cd - or dock - to USB and than run grubconfig. Select
/dev/sdb1 - your USB drive if you have SATA HDD built in - and let it
go. After a minute you can boot from it.

Okay you have said, that you haven't got CD in your laptop. Then you
could do 2 things:
1. Use Ubuntu to recognize USB pen and do the rest - grubconfig, copying
2. Do it as a real nomad shall do it :-) Bring your dyne cd to work or
to a friend, boot the machine there with the cd and create th usb dyne
bootable, than go home and enjoy your new multimedia OS :-)

Booting from USB is not as fast as from a real HDD but it is nearly in
that speed - much faster than CDrom - and you can carry your dyne in
your pocket - using it for pc rescue or at other machines to continue
your thing where you finished at last occasion.

But don't forget to check your NTFS partition for errors with chkdsk, I
think that is the problem, Windows XP nearly always left errors on NTFS
partitions...even if the machine were shut down correctly which is an
intresting thing....maybe laptop BIOS uses SATA compatibility mode for
HDD and XP doesn't likes it very much - even if there is now error msg
or other strange things...

Hope this would help