:: Re: [dyne:bolic] R: VideoCard for l…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: jaromil
Oggetto: Re: [dyne:bolic] R: VideoCard for linux - WAS can't boot with dyne2.5.2 and subscribe tobug report page !!!

hi Dave,

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 10:55:13AM +0100, David Wood wrote:

> Best videocard depends on your requirements.
>
> I need tv-out, and 3d acceleration, which leaves me with not a lot
> of choice but nvidia/ati and a binary blob :S

ATI released all the specifications for their cards: while still
redistributing a closed source proprietary driver, they at least
provided documentation for free software developers to implement open
source drivers. Besides this recent news, for video-out there is the
"gatos" project that has been very helpful in the past years. On the
long term i'm sure we'll see better support for ATI cards in the
future, for their 3d engine, shaders and tv-out.

Also Intel always provides open specs for its hardware and in
particular the graphic cards have an excellend support on GNU/Linux.

so the last misbehaving company left is really Nvidia and we should
put pressure on them to respect consumers and their free choice using
liberated operating systems.

ciao

- --

jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org

GPG: EDEE F1B9 DC92 76C0 6D46 D77A 58B0 82D6 [ 5B6E 6D97 ]