:: Re: [dyne:bolic] d:b-development
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Matt Grice
À: dynebolic mailinglist
Sujet: Re: [dyne:bolic] d:b-development
Jack Johnson wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2007 7:08 PM, Matt Grice <mcjgrice@???> wrote:
>
>> I think that whenever we propose changes (direction?) like this, we need
>> to consider Jaromil's original vision for Dyne : Bolic, it's raison
>> d'etre if you like. Does Dyne:bolic need to be small enough to fit on a
>> credit card cd-rom like DSL to fulfill that?
>>

> I think sometimes yes. I *like* that it fits on a (moderately large)
> USB key, not only for my convenience but because I know that it
> probably raises fewer eyebrows for other folks in need of some of
> those tools. Why I'd like to see it slimmed down is because I suspect
> some of our more OSD users (oppressed/suppressed/depressed) probably
> can't afford a 1GB USB key. Though blank CDs are plentiful and cheap,
> I suspect they have more potential to raise suspicions in different
> locales.

Uh... mkay.
>> I'm here because of the potential for DB to become a hacktivist's
>> toolkit
>>

> I'm here because of the creative aspect of Jaromil's vision. There
> are a lot of toolkits out there to tear it all down. It's nice to see
> one about remaking it all.

A 'hacktivist' is not a cracker, btw. From Wikipedia:

*'Hacktivism* (a portmanteau <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmanteau>
of /hack <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hack>/ and /activism
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activism>/) is often understood as the
writing of code <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code>, or otherwise
manipulating bit <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit>, to promote
political ideology <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_ideology> -
promoting expressive politics <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics>,
free speech <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_speech>, human rights
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights>, or information ethics
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics>. Acts of hacktivism are carried
out in the belief that proper use of code will have leveraged effects
similar to regular activism <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activism> or
civil disobedience <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_disobedience>.
Fewer people can write code, but code affects more people.'

It's not about breaking things or tearing things down. I'm no L337 H4X0R
looking to deface webpages with scripts or other lame stuff. Just
thought I'd make that clear in case my poor, sleep-deprived brain caused
people to think otherwise!

Matt