:: Re: [dyne:bolic] installing without…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: andrea bertolasi
A: dynebolic mailinglist
Asunto: Re: [dyne:bolic] installing without CD
On 11/5/07, Brian Cockley <brian.cockley@???> wrote:
> I have tried that. I get the following message when I switch on
> GRUB Loading stage 1.5.
> Grub loading, please wait....
> Error 17
> I assume that the loader is waiting for the CD drive (which doesn't
> exist) to kick in to complete the installation.
> Can I make a partition on the hard drive to hold a copy of the CD and
> get the GRUB loader to treat the partition as a CD, and then use it to
> install?

you don't need it. DB has no installation and probably there is no CD problem.
I think you have done a bad grub install.

I suggest to do this way: put the notebook hard disk into the PC as
primary master (as I think it's in the notebook) than boot from the
dyne cd.
Copy the /dyne directory from the CD to the hard disk (of course i
suppose you've alredy done the fdisk mke2fs stuff!). (note: add a swap
partition!!!)

than create on your hard disk a partition called /boot/grub
and copy there everything from /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/
add there grub.conf from the cd root (if I remember right you need to
rename it into menu.lst)

than start grub from the shell / xterm and
1) go into the grub shell and search for the stage1 file
    grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

3) use the partition found as root
    grub> root(hd0,0)

4) install on the MBR of the device the file stage1
    grub> setup(hd0)

and I thing you're done!

more help here:
http://ourthing.altervista.org/grub/grub-on-a-usb-memory.pdf