:: [dyne:bolic] Shell Scripts and Fil…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Mike Webb
Betreff: [dyne:bolic] Shell Scripts and File Permissions
I am running Dynebolic 2.4.2 using a nest and with the modules copied
to /mnt/hd1/1/dyne (or C:\dyne, considering it's on a FAT32
partition). I have not (yet) set up grub or lilo to boot with; I boot
from the LiveCD and then hand off the boot process to the files on HD.
I boot by the default into user root. My only other extended
experience with Linux has been with Puppy Linux. I'm encountering
problems with Dynebolic that didn't exist under Puppy, and am looking
for some tips.

It seems that under Dynebolic, all files are locked into owner root
and group mail. They won't save under any other owner or group,
Dynebolic refuses to allow either to be changed (not the group,
anyway) and because of this, I can't even run a simple shell script.
For example, I've wanted to use ps2pdf in a shell script to
bulk-convert .ps files I've created by printing to .pdf. I can compose
the script, but it refuses to run on the basis of improper
permissions. I can run the same script under Puppy Linux (which puts
the same file under user root and group root) and have no problems.

Similar problems occur when I attempt to install some software
packages, apparently mostly RPMs. I get a flurry of messages about
being unable to save with proper permissions, and the program doesn't
run.

I've tried the standard utilities (like chown and chgrp) and they
aren't allowed to do their thing. What do I need to do just to get a
shell script to run under dyne:bolic?

Thanks,
Mike