:: [dyne:bolic] Bon Echo Downloads: U…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Mike Webb
À: dynebolic mailinglist
Sujet: [dyne:bolic] Bon Echo Downloads: Unwanted Filename Extensions
Background: I'm running Bon Echo 2.0.0.2 under dyne:bolic 2.4.2.

I'm aware that "Bon Echo" is a modified Mozilla Firefox, probably to
make it more "free" like the pared-down version in gNewSense (in fact,
it might be a better idea for d:b to use the one from gNewSense if
that's to be done, since Bon Echo still has plenty of Firefox stuff
popping up). I believe that a bug was introduced in the process; a
rather irritating one since it affects a frequently-used feature. It's
something I've never seen in regular Firefox.

What's happening is that I click on a link to download a file. Then a
dialog box pops up and says "This is a (whatever) file. What should
Bon Echo do with it?" If I tell it to save to disk, it frequently
adds a filename extension to the file, either saving it with a
redundant extension (like filename.zip.zip or filename.torrent.torrent
or filename.doc.doc) or one that prevents the file from being used
normally, esp. if the file is to be used in a Windows environment
(like filename.bin.exe, filename.chm.exe, and even
filename.dyne.exe!). What I've mentioned here are examples of actual
extensions being added by Bon Echo.

This only happens when downloading with a regular click (which is
often required if the only way to get to the file is via a redirecting
URL). It does not happen when I right-click and choose "Save As", and
it does not happen when I use the "DownThemAll!" plugin to download.

I have looked all over the menus and cannot find a setting to change
this behavior, so I presume it's a bug. Am I wrong? IS there a setting
to change this? Failing that, is it already noted as a bug to be fixed
in the version of Bon Echo to accompany the next version of
dyne:bolic?

Thanks for the help!
Mike