:: Re: [dyne:bolic] New db user commen…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Guy
Betreff: Re: [dyne:bolic] New db user comments
Bomis wrote:

>Hi, Guy (and all),
>
>Yes, the startup sequence did stop and ask me for the password to access
>the usb "nest". I'll have to test the thing again to see exactly what
>is happening. I do know that it found something unsatisfactory and then
>it stopped. Having searched through the mailing list archives, I see
>that others have had similar problems with the usb "nest".
>
>I don't know what the format of the usb drive is. It's just a standard
>unit from one of the office supply stores.
>
>Another question I forgot to ask: when using firefox via dyne:bolic,
>there's no flash plugin installed (unlike with Linux Mint, which I'm
>testing right now...very nice [but no cool rasta stuff!]). I'm sure
>it's very easy to fix that, but I'm clueless as to how. Do I need to
>"dock" the OS to be able to do that?

If it were me, I would try making a nest that is not password protected
to see if that is the issue or whether it is a problem with the nesting
system itself - that may isolate the problem at least. I must admit I
haven't encrypted my nest. My life is far too boring .....

Flash will not be in there as it is not 'free' software, in the sense
that it does not offer the freedoms guaranteed by the GPL (if you are
perplexed check out the free software foundation's site
http://www.fsf.org/). Different distros have different opinions about
including 'non-free' software. However, if you get software packages
for anything you want, you can install them to a running dyne:bolic
sytem - there is a link off the wiki's FAQ page explaining how. You
will have to reinstall them after booting again (docking doesn't change
this) - this can be seen as a bonus because you can install anything &
100% lose it if you don't want it again. The only way to make them
permanent is to remaster d:b or make a module.

best

Guy