Til: dynebolic
Emne: Re: [dyne:bolic] having problems to log in as user
Well, I tried all the suggestions about creating a new user and I still
cannot create a new user that can do anything within d:b. Typically, what
happens is as follows:

- I create a user through the Add User icon in Configure, not adding the
user to any existing groups. This appears to go OK until just before I am
asked to set the password. Here I get an error message: chfn: PAM
authentication failed. I am still able to set a password for the new user.

- On logging out and logging back in as the new user, I find that I cannot
adjust, let alone see the soundcard mixer controls. Same for the network.
When I try to adjust soundcard properties, I am asked for the admin password
which I give and this is rejected. So, I can't use any of the software
because I can't even access the basic controls. Hydrogen for example, is
unable to start any of the audio drivers (such as ALSA or OSS).

If I try to add the newly created user to any existing groups (using
groupadd) such as audio, video or users, I get another error message saying
"invalid numberic argument: audio".

As far as I can work out, something in setting up new users is broken. I
have even tried to follow command line setup of users as outlined in various
Linux Howto's and nothing works. Same results every time. Surely, something
like this shouldn't be such a headache. Even though I have little experience
with Linux, over the last couple of months, I have tried other Linux
distro's from the large to the small and have successfully set up new users
with no problems whatsoever.

Manoj