:: [dyne:bolic] rosegarden, kde and de…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: jaromil
Vecchi argomenti: Re: [dyne:bolic] pure:dyne aka Evil OS - its no use to me
Oggetto: [dyne:bolic] rosegarden, kde and debian

hi David,

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 04:34:23PM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> My two cents: (more)
>
> 4. Dyne does not have Rosegarden. Rosegarden is a KDE application and Dyne
> does not use KDE, preferring lighter-weight windowing managers.

let me update you on this, since version 2.3 we do have Rosegarden
included in the default audio.dyne module.

it is not the latest version, but can be easily updated from source.

regardin inclusion of KDE, dyne:bolic doesn't includes it as a window
manager, but it includes the kde-libs which are necessary to run
applications as Rosegarden and K3b.

i do believe KDE is a very good environment, just a bit bloated if
installed complete on slow computers, but still can be customized to
take advantage only of certain functionalities and software, that's what
i did in dyne:bolic.

> one could install KDE and also Rosegarden and Muse and others using
> this. As I said, I have all this on my Debian box.

surely debian is a fine distribution when you know how to customize and
install things (not so difficult indeed!). OTOH you can see dyne:bolic
as adding the variety of yet another liveCD (we were one of the first,
out at about the same time as knoppix) with all tools pre-installed.

dyne:bolic can be handy to introduce people to GNU/Linux, let them do
without assistance and deliver a lightweight software DAW on a single CD
without further need for a internet connection to install software.

i do value with interest your comment about easy installation of debian
packages and i am already planning to integrate apt-get repository
support into the next major release, dyne:3

ciao

- --
(_ jaromil _)(_ http://korova.dyne.org _)