:: Re: [dyne:bolic] pure:dyne aka Evil…
Página Inicial
Autor: MilkaJinka
Para: dynebolic mailinglist
Assunto: Re: [dyne:bolic] pure:dyne aka Evil OS - its no use to me
Hello,

> The other big waste of space for most users but not all, is Blender for
> 3d.
> 3D experts can use Blender, but this is only after a lot of study. Nobody
> else has any use for it and it seems to be thrown in anyway, with the
> attitude that if you can't use it you must be a dumbass/luser (interesting
> to know who could use PureData AND Blender). PureData and Blender were
> both
> developed by people with specific needs, and have evolved over time. Those
> people who were with it at the beginning obviously find it a piece of cake
> to use them. Others are lusers or people looking for a Linux-based
> challenge
> (for whom the actual multimedia work itself is not a top priority).

I have to disagree. Blender _is_ useful because one can do about
everything with it in the 3D area (modelling, animation, editing,
compositing...), and you can get started in a couple of hour for the
basics (I knew it, I and a dozen of friends have done it ;-) ). The
all-in-one killer app (not an elitist tool for specific needs), but yeah,
you're right, it's _heavy_, especially for a distro aimed at being able to
run on old computers.

The same can be said about Cinelerra : it's heavy, ressources-angry and
not too easy to learn, but hey, it's THE tool for video editing under
Linux.

Well, using POV-Ray it's possible to make 3D modelling with text-files
only and a very weak system, but THAT is as elitist as PureData :-D

Cheers,
MilkaJinka