:: Re: [dyne:bolic] DNS problem?
Página Inicial
Autor: Richard Hamel-Smith
Para: dynebolic mailinglist
Assunto: Re: [dyne:bolic] DNS problem?
I, for one, am glad to hear it. I couldn't think what else to do.
I have found 2.1 more forgiving that 2.3, tho' I'm not sure why.
So, I actually have stuck with 2.1.

Your problem was with the whole 2.x series tho'.

Yesterday, I was trying to help a friend understand how to configure
X-window and it came to me so strongly that the whole Free Software
scene needs to be MUCH easier for people to understand. Observing how
difficult it was for him to grasp the steps, made me remember how much
pain it was for me to learn them. Pain that I have forgotten now, but
was so much hell that I would actually re-install a distro rather than
try to configure X-window. Now configuring X-window is easy, but the
effort it took to learn, was really amazing. Just my plain
stubbornness kept me going.

And it could be made easier. It's just that no-one has gone the extra
step to package a script that focuses, not on the technical issues,
but on the needs of a newbie. I often think that where Microsoft got
really smart, was in the use of wizards to walk people through
configurations.

Instead of a screen that just asks for values for IP address, netmask,
gateway, driver, etc., there needs to be something that gently
explains what an IP address is, why it is important, what a gateway
is, what a netmask is, etc. And in words a newbie can understand. Not
techo-jargon, like dotted-quad format.

Anyhow, too early to start a rant. I'd glad you got it sorted out,
Kris. Well done.

Richard