:: Re: [dyne:bolic] VSTs with no compi…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: David Baron
À: dynebolic mailinglist
Sujet: Re: [dyne:bolic] VSTs with no compiling/flailing needed
On Tuesday 14 November 2006 23:08, zonger@??? wrote:
> Hi fellow DYNE users...while this pertains to Mepis/Ubuntu/Debian
> perhaps more than Dynebolic, I'm sure some creatives here can distll this
> info to assist users here availing themselves of some fine free VSTs
> to create music with...perhaps a live free VST module, where the non-freely
> distributable Steinberg files are parsed for in the nest(!)
>

> I had a stroke of good luck, detailed in
> a message to a Mepislovers forum, repeated here, by chance to help some
> frustrated musician, seeking an easy free and current way to use some
> VST instruments. Though YMMV, these are cut'n'paste filenames, so only a
> little
> effort is needed to duplicate this very standard installation! Have Fun!
>
> Musicians...
>
> VST! no compiling/flailing needed!
> How?
> 1. Mepis 3.4 Linux Format DvD standard install
> 2. wine_0.9.9-0ubuntu2_i386.deb
> 3. fst_1.9-1_i386.deb
> 4. jackd_0.101.1-1_i386.deb
> 5. qjackctl-0.2.21-0.pm.1.i586.rpm
> 6. a drawer in your home/user directory for your Vst instruments
> 7. AEffect.h and aeffectx.h (the infamous Steinberg SDK files)
>    unzip the vst_sdk2_3.zip
> find this folder and in its contents,
> vstsdk2.3/source/common/aeffectx.h
> vstsdk2.3/source/common/AEffect.h
> (please note that in later versions, the directories names are changed,
> and so modify procedures as needed     8')
> ...well guess what?
> I copied them to All folders in /home/user/.wine, and also in lib,
> usr/lib, usr/bin
> usr/share, usr/include, local variants of the above, and in those
> drawers,  any folder
> named alsa, sound, audio, jack, etc, also got free copies! Yeah, so I
> went  a little postal about getting VST, I'm a bit of a nutter, I
> confess...but  it worked!!! No compiling things with scons and flags and
> dev packages and  mass confusion only to be crushed like a bug in the end!

> Synth1...ran 2 of 'em...loaded banks of presets, Holygrail moment...
> Crystal...played its presets, tweaked the knobs, changed the waveforms...
> polyiblit...loaded its bonus bank, discovered I really like it...
> EffEm...first time with it, love the interface...won't reveal details,
> see/hear for yourself...very much a knob twirlers dream...
> VibraphoneTS...good good good good-vibrations!
> Osiris6...Oberon-8 dark and ominous...can't wait to hit the keys.
>
> Tested some others...some post missing module warnings and start and work
> fine...
> some others start, but have no volume, don't know why...
> All are requested to start lash first by fst, but I didn't bother, to much
> fun going on, and I have lash installed if need be.
>
> So spread the info, and may it all work for you in newer Mepis installs
> too!
> (and maybe in similar distros too, I hope)
>
> PS Dave Phillups, I read more of your articles...thanx again!

> [...]

Did not know there was a .deb of fst. However, if one needs those Steinberg
headers, one is COMPILING. Fst works quite nicely and its capabilities can be
compiled into Ardour as well. Not perfect, but a very nice start.

There is also an "alpha" of incorporating ASIO into WINE.

What next.
(All of this is "non-free" but at no cost besides time and effort.)