:: [dyne:bolic] configuring WindowMake…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Saul Thomas
À: dynebolic mailinglist
Sujet: [dyne:bolic] configuring WindowMaker, users, and root
I've been working with a docked and nested dyne:bolic lately, and have a
couple of questions.

1. I recently found that while I can make and save some changes to my
WindowMaker preferences, I can't save changes to the configuration of
the dockapps on the right side. For example, I'd like to remove the
floppy disk icon and put in links for Firefox and Thunderbird. I can do
that while I'm running fine, but then when I reboot, all of the changes
I made are lost. Looking at the WM documentation, it looks like these
changes are supposed to be stored in /etc/WindowMaker/WMState. I tried
changing that manually, but it looks like it gets overwritten with the
default dyne:bolic configuration at boot (or maybe shutdown).
Interestingly, WMWindowAttributes, in the same directory, does not get
overwritten, and then changes I make to that stay. I saw in a previous
message that there is a similar overwriting issue with changing the
menu. Is there a way around this? Or could I get around it by making a
custom module?

2. After doing a bunch of changes in the WindowMaker preferences, I
logged into gaim to chat on IRC. Someone pointed out that I was logged
in as root, and I realized that I never bothered to set up users. So I
set up a new user, and logged in to find that the new user had the
default dyne:bolic WM configuration again. This was no big surprise, but
I found that this time, as non-root, I wasn't able to make any changes
in WindowMaker at all, including to the default background picture
(awesome picture--but I wanted to un-stretch and center it on my wide
screen). Also, the sound card didn't seem to be working. No tune played
when I clicked the dyne folder, and when I tried to play music on
amarok, I got a message saying that no sound card was initialized. I
then logged out and logged in again as user: luther password: luther.
This time the sound played, but I still couldn't adjust any WindowMaker
preferences. I logged out again and logged back in as root, and there
was my modified desktop, and it was again modifiable, and the sound
worked fine. But I'm afraid to go on the internet again as root! :-0

So, is there any way for non-root users to make changes to WindowMaker
preferences? Or is there a way for root to run internet apps without
being so vulnerable? Should I make a module with my default config first
and just solve things that way (though that's a fairly big process in
order to make changes to WM preferences). Also, is there a way to get
the sound card working if I'm logged in as another user besides root or
luther?

Overall, dyne:bolic is great, and I especially appreciate the philosophy
behind it. Congrats to jaromil and the other contributors! Though I'm
very much a noob, I hope to try to put together a useful module or two
if I can.

Thanks,

Saul