:: Re: [dyne:bolic] Need help with the…
Top Pagina
Auteur: stomfisite
Aan: dynebolic mailinglist
Onderwerp: Re: [dyne:bolic] Need help with the USB stick/mp3 player
I had a similar problem on my nVidia AMD 64 set up, but it went away
on non nvidia mother boards. I analyzed the problem was because the
nvidia motherboard uses proprietary firmware that needs to loaded by
the kernel boot process. The firmware isn't part of a true OSS
distro like Dyne. Maybe you have a similar problem.

Have you tried it on other systems???

Richard Hamel-Smith wrote:
> [...]
> SCSI device sda: 249599 512-byte hdwr sectors (128 MB)
> sda: Write Protect is off
> sda: Mode Sense: 45 00 00 08
> sda: assuming drive cache: write through
> SCSI device sda: 249599 512-byte hdwr sectors (128 MB)
> sda: Write Protect is off
> sda: Mode Sense: 45 00 00 08
> sda: assuming drive cache: write through
>  sda: sda1
> sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
> sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
> usb-storage: device scan complete

> are you seeing anything like that?
> just after you insert the USB stick,
> type dmesg in a xterm
>
> If you get output similar to the above, then your USB stick is recognised
> If not, ...
>
> the /etc/fstab file on my system has the following entry for the USB
> stick, which
> by the way, is called /dev/sda1
>
> /dev/sda1       /mnt/usb        vfat    defaults,user   0       2

> This line means that the USB stick is mounted with a VFAT filesystem,
> which I believe, is the
> filesystem Windows95 originally came with.
>
> Anyhow, to mount it manually, you would use
>
> mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
>
> But Dyne:bolic does all this automatically for you.
>
> Now, I know you have Dyne:bolic version 2.2 but did you try version
> 2.1? I ask because I have come across some other problems with 2.2,
> which did not occur with 2.1.
> Perhaps, your USB stick will be recognised with 2.1. If you have the
> bandwidth, I'd suggest downloading 2.1.
> The only real difference I've noticed between 2.1 and 2.2 is that 2.2
> includes some VoIP apps. But you can always download Skype for Linux
> instead. So you won't really lose anything going to 2.1.
>
> And another thing, does your USB stick work on any other Linux distro,
> like Knoppix perhaps? Does it work under Windows, do you know? Knoppix
> is generally accepted as being the most hardware compatible version of
> Linux. It's what I fall back to if I get problems with hardware.
>
> Can you try another USB stick? Or is the problem with all USB sticks?
>
> About formatting the USB stick, I've never had to do this personally.
> But it's easy enough to do. To format your USB stick with a VFAT
> filesystem, type
>
> mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1
>
> Of course, It will wipe any files there when you do this.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Richard
>

> On 10/23/06, Karlo Prstac <darion696@???> wrote:
>> Well i typed into the xTerminal
>>
>> [d:b]: dmesg|tail
>>
>> and this popped out:
>>

>> [drm]Setting GART location based on old memory map
>> [drm]LOading R300 microcode
>> [drm]Writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs
>> FAT:bogus number in reserveds sectors
>> VFS:Can't find a valid FAT file system on dev sda1
>>

>> What does that mean?
>> And can i format my stick from dyne:bolic,because i tried form windows adn
>>> from the menu, select xterm