Til: dynebolic mailinglist
Emne: Re: [dyne:bolic] Need help with the USB stick/mp3 player
Ok, this is what I get when I connect my USB stick

usb 2-2: USB disconnect, address 2
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
usb-storage: device found at 3
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: M-SysT5   Model: Dell Memory Key   Rev: 5.04
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 45 00 00 08
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 45 00 00 08
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

are you seeing anything like that?
just after you insert the USB stick,
type dmesg in a xterm

If you get output similar to the above, then your USB stick is recognised
If not, ...

the /etc/fstab file on my system has the following entry for the USB
stick, which
by the way, is called /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1       /mnt/usb        vfat    defaults,user   0       2

This line means that the USB stick is mounted with a VFAT filesystem,
which I believe, is the
filesystem Windows95 originally came with.

Anyhow, to mount it manually, you would use

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb

But Dyne:bolic does all this automatically for you.

Now, I know you have Dyne:bolic version 2.2 but did you try version
2.1? I ask because I have come across some other problems with 2.2,
which did not occur with 2.1.
Perhaps, your USB stick will be recognised with 2.1. If you have the
bandwidth, I'd suggest downloading 2.1.
The only real difference I've noticed between 2.1 and 2.2 is that 2.2
includes some VoIP apps. But you can always download Skype for Linux
instead. So you won't really lose anything going to 2.1.

And another thing, does your USB stick work on any other Linux distro,
like Knoppix perhaps? Does it work under Windows, do you know? Knoppix
is generally accepted as being the most hardware compatible version of
Linux. It's what I fall back to if I get problems with hardware.

Can you try another USB stick? Or is the problem with all USB sticks?

About formatting the USB stick, I've never had to do this personally.
But it's easy enough to do. To format your USB stick with a VFAT
filesystem, type

mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1

Of course, It will wipe any files there when you do this.

Hope this helps,
Richard