:: Re: [dyne:bolic] Problems using dyn…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Tommy Drum
Betreff: Re: [dyne:bolic] Problems using dyne:bolic on HP Notebook
On 24/08/06, Deepak Mishra <xask.linus@???> wrote:

> Obviously your laptop does not hang at all, starting X cannot hang your
> computer, you can test this by pressing caps lock and num lock keys.

Sorry I didn't mention that, caps lock and num lock keys are frozen; already
tried that of course. Could you also try it out Matthias? In my case no
ctrl+alt+backspace work, no console pops-up. Problem seems to be with the
radeon driver, which seems to be in need of the options in corg.conf that I
mentioned in my previous post. Anyone tried those out?

Here are some steps that might help you -
> 1. Kill the X server by pressing ctl+alt+ backspace, now you must land up
> to a text console

No key combination works, only hard shutdown; I mentioned to jaromil at the
iludiamoci meeting in Pescara that there is Magig Sys Rq key that could be
enabled in the debug section of the kernel configuration that helps out to
sync and unmount discs and reboot the system with the alt+SysRq+certain
keys. This would be the only thing that could work in this case.

2. edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file -
> come down to section "device"
> find the Driver option change you current driver value to "vesa"
> now start X by typing "startx" or whatever the command is , im not
> actually sure.

Of course someone could try this out if he could access the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file; I cannot actually do that because I don't have a
docked dyne (I'm away right now, and that's the reason for my missing gpg
signature), and don't have the intention to dock on my brother's pc.

This technique will work on all mordern video cards, but the only prolem you
> are going to face is that you will loose all video acceleration!

Either way the X600 only has 2D acceleration on linux with the open source
drivers provided by xorg + DRI:
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon

Ciao
tommy