:: Re: [dyne:bolic] Problems using dyn…
Góra strony
Autor: Deepak Mishra
Dla: dynebolic mailinglist
Temat: Re: [dyne:bolic] Problems using dyne:bolic on HP Notebook
On 8/24/06, Tommy Drum <mycooc@???> wrote:

> On 18/08/06, Matthias Kleine <matthias_kleine@???> wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'm new to dyne:bolic and tried to get it running on my HP nx8220
> > notebook. The problem I've got so far is that as soon as X starts I get
> > a black screen and the notebook hangs (Well, I'm not sure whether it's
> > actually hanging. I just cannot see whether anything is happening). I
> > tried the suggested boot options for laptops but didn't have any
> > success. I read about similar issues on the list archive but couldn't
> > find any solution to this problem. The graphics card built into this
> > notebook is an ATI Mobility Radeon X600.
>

> I've tried it on an hp zd-something laptop with an X600 and it has the
> same problem. I guess it has to do with xorg drivers, though I'm not sure
> and haven't really dug into it since I'm on holidays...
>
> Although I notice it is the sanme problem that comes up with the X700, and
> several people report it as beeing solved by adding the following in the
> Device section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>
> Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,Auto"
>
> I found this in two threads from an Ubuntu forum i googled for hastily, so
> cannot know if it solves your problem; can someone try it and report? These
> are the threads for anyone that wants to dig into it:
>

> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-driver-ati/+bug/35601
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/22985
>

> I also noticed a couple of bugs trying to overcome this:
>
> 1. linux=interactive (or the similar command) on the boot prompt doesn't
> really work (on this machine, maybe on others also), so I cannot tell
> dyne:bolic to not boot the xorg server
> 2. the dyne.conf (dyne.cfg?) containing the environment variable in
> regards of booting/not booting the xorg server is still on the TODO list,
> right?
>
> Ciao
> tommy

Obviously your laptop does not hang at all, starting X cannot hang your
computer, you can test this by pressing caps lock and num lock keys.
Here are some steps that might help you -
1. Kill the X server by pressing ctl+alt+ backspace, now you must land up to
a text console
2. edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file -
come down to section "device"
find the Driver option change you current driver value to "vesa"
now start X by typing "startx" or whatever the command is , im not actually
sure.

This technique will work on all mordern video cards, but the only prolem you
are going to face is that you will loose all video acceleration!