:: [dyne:bolic] Not booting. Forgive m…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: John Bland
Betreff: [dyne:bolic] Not booting. Forgive me if you know this already.
Re: josu nanore email. Hi

You must firstly tell your burner software to nurn your download to CD
as an Iso image. Iso is a standard, and so your burner software should
understand. If it is not burned as an Iso image, it will never boot.
Secondly, you must check in your Bios that the boot order is set so that
'boot from CD' is attempted before 'boot from hard disk' The bios is the
very first routine that every computer runs (from hardware) before it
hands over to the operating system. It does fundamental setting up -
like checking Ram and setting up the keyboard etc. etc. You get into the
bios setup screens by hitting the correct keyboard key just after
switching on. The computer's initial text screen may tell you which key
to hit, though not always, or your manual may tell you. The screen on
mine says "Press DELETE to enter setup" just after I switch on. Once
inside the bios screens, there's no mouse response, just the keyboard
arrow keys and the Enter key to navigate you to where you want to be.
Don't go altering anything at all other than the order of the boot
devices, if they need altering. On mine, the boot order is set on the
'Advanced Bios Features' screen, and I've set First Boot Device to
Floppy, Second Boot Device to CD Rom and Third Boot Device to Hard Disk.
With these settings, when I switch on, it will look for a floppy disk
first, and if it finds a bootable floppy it will boot from it. If
there's nothing in the floppy drive (or if it's not a bootable floppy),
it goes on to look for a bootable [Iso] CD. If there's no CD there (or
if there is, but it is not a bootable Iso CD) it then goes on to boot
from the hard disk. If the CD boot attempt does not come before the hard
disk, you'll never boot from the CD.
Email again if you have any further problems, but don't go altering what
you don't understand in the bios., though somewhere in your bios it will
let you reload the factory safe defaults. The Escape key takes you back
out of a screen, or back out of the bios.