:: [dyne:bolic] Help - Wish to run a p…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: ewgf
Betreff: [dyne:bolic] Help - Wish to run a program under self booting Linux disc
I am completely new to Linux, I'm afraid, and so I have to ask for help
doing
something which I imagine is very simple, sorry if this is a tediously
simple
question.

I wish to run the demo of Unreal Tournament on my laptop, to run
under Dyne:bolic, if I can. The reason for this is that I have an XBox, and
Unreal Tournament (which is my favourite PC game) is not available on
the XBox, but you can run Linux (but not Windows) on the XBox. UT is
available for both Linux and Windows, and so I thought I'd try to run
UT (Linux) on the XBox.

But since I have no Linux knowledge whatsoever, I thought it would
make more sense to get UT running under Linux on my laptop (so that I
know exactly what and how needs to be done for Linux to run UT)
and then I'll try to apply what I've learnt to the XBox to get UT running
on there. I imagine that the XBox might pose a problem, as it's not too
powerful; it's fast enough (733MHz), but it only has 64MB of memory
(shared with the video RAM), and I don't think any XBox Linux has
hardware graphics drivers. The XBox CPU will be fast enough I imagine
(UT (Windows) ran fine on my old P1-233MHz in 2000, and is great on
my P3-700MHz laptop now), and UT has a (very good, actually) software
mode, so the lack of a hardware 3D mode shouldn't hurt, but the memory
might be a concern, although since I'm not going to be using it online, or
connected to other XBoxes, memory won't be needed for networking.
I just want to play the standalone game against bots.

I don't have the Linux version of UT, but from what I understand, you
just need the Windows version of UT (Game of the Year Edition), which
I have, and the Linux installer, from:

http://official.beyondunreal.com/dl.php/official/ut/ut-install-436-goty.run

though since I cannot yet use Linux, I thought I'd simplify things by
trying the native Linux UT demo, available from:

http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/official/ut/utdemo-linux-x86-
348.tar.gz

But when I boot from Dyne:bolic (1.41, as I wanted to use the XBox
compatible version)
onto my laptop, although Linux seems to work (as far as I can tell, I can
open the file explorer
and stuff via Linux's desktop), when I start the UT demo, I get the UT
splash screen (with
a penguin on it), then the splash screen disappears, but nothing else
happens, or seems to have
happened. The UT demo (Linux) seems to have exited, as I can still use the
Linux desktop, which
hasn't changed, but UT hasn't started. I can re-run the demo and the splash
screen appears and
disappeares again.

Help! If anyone can spare the time, please try to get the demo working, and
if so, then please
let me know step by step (I'm a complete beginner, please remember) what you
did.

Thanks for any answers.