:: Re: [dyne:bolic] Cell proc Playstat…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: stomfisite
Betreff: Re: [dyne:bolic] Cell proc Playstation III
Sony is bringing out Linux for this machine, so I guess everyone
will see that first, and how open the hardware interface are.
But if you can install stuff, you'll be able to install all of the
dyne2 apps on it, or you could run Dyne under qemu, and it would
still be faster than a speeding bullet.
What you really need to do in preparation, is to convert all of the
programs that run on Dyne2 to use threads so they can take advantage
of the SPEs. If you don't need that, the 3 core PPC XBOX 360 is
probably a better solution for a straight Linux port, or many Sun's
new 8 core SPARC chip.
I'm only getting a PS3 so I can explore natural language and 3D
recognition algorithms which must use vector processing threads to
be effective. I'd like to see this happen before I go blind from
typing, and crippled from trying to see what's hiding behind Tux.

Of course if you can afford several of them, they will grid at the
hardware level, so you get the summed power of each PPC, but if its
raw power you want then a cluster of XBOXES will be cheaper.

Stomfi
.