:: Re: [DNG] Devuan and Nvidia driver …
Author: tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan and Nvidia driver not working
On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 11:09:33 +0200
ognen <ognen@???> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A few days ago I made the mistake of upgrading from Chimaera to
> Daedalus. While the upgrade itself went fine, upon reboot my machine
> would hang indefinitely on "Waiting for /dev to be fully populated".
>
> I have since tried both a clean Chimaera and Daedalus reinstall. The
> machine boots fine until I install the nvidia xorg driver. After which
> I am back at the "Waiting for /dev to be fully populated" kernel
> message.
>
> Has anyone seen this before? Got any ideas on how to get this working
> again?
>
> I need the extra features of the nvidia driver, but it seems the latest
> package version does not play well with the boot process.
>
> Thanks!

Hi,
if for your card you need the nvidia driver 390.157
that supports older video cards add the following lines
to your /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged/ oldstable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://deb.devuan.org/merged/ oldstable main non-free contrib
deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged/ oldstable-security main non-free contrib
deb-src http://deb.devuan.org/merged/ oldstable-security main non-free contrib

remove every package related to nvidia.
To list most packages:

apt list nvidia-\* | grep installed

then remove them.
Run: apt update
then install

nvidia-legacy-390xx-kernel-dkms
xserver-xorg-legacy
xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-legacy-390xx

this should also install all of the needed dependencies.....in the best case.
This is what I recall to have done when I installed Deadalus so some
pieces of memory could be already missing you have been warned.

Hope this helps.

Ciao,
Tito