:: Re: [dyne:bolic] Dudas: Live dvd, …
Author: Giancarlo Pinerolo
New-Topics: [dyne:bolic] create a LUKS encrypted persistent image file
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] Dudas: Live dvd, instalación Frugal, Docking.
A few days ago I posted a patch for live-initramfs, so that you can start with 'persistent=cryptsetup' cheatcode and have live-initramfs "scripts/live-helpers" (called everywhere by the script 'live'), mount a LUKS encrypted, image file (live-rw or home-rw). The actual version can only mount LUKS partitions, not file images.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/live-initramfs/+bugs

That patch is for the find_cow_device() function in live-initramfs_1.173.1-1.
modprobe dm_mod (device mapper) was also missing in the scripts.
The patch actually messes output a bit when you miss the password the first time. I couldn't sort out how many ouputs are there at that moment, 6 or 7 (log, console, debug etc), and the find_cow_device() function is supposed to echo out its return value, so things mix up when you miss password and enter the askpass/retry loop.

The one used by dyne is debian live-initramfs_1.236.2.1 or something.

Now live-initramfs is taken on by ubuntu dev team and latest version of these live scripts are to be found in live-boot-initramfs-tools_2.0.14 (the whole live stuff has been spilt in a number of sub-packages), but they don't solve this problem and stilll cannot mount encrypted images files.

Hope it helps
Giancarlo