:: [Bricolabs] Istanbul (video)
Author: Patrice Riemens
To: brico
Subject: [Bricolabs] Istanbul (video)
Warning: "Grandpa prattles along" ... ;-)

Hi,

For those who are not there - and those who are:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/video/2011/sep/13/istanbul-bosphorus-video-guide

towards the end you see one of the things I liked most in Istanbul: the
big, magnificent ferries. In my time (!) many were still real steamers and
sported two classes (of which the first class was the common class, second
class was for the truly poor). And they were quite luxurious, the big
'Ekspres' ones, even featuring a 'Baramerikan' where you could sip
vermouth (Turkish made) on garden chairs ...

Those were the days of course, like today are the days ...

(Just read on a Turkish blog: "The terror of ipods and mobile phones on
the ferries" ... In 1972 I was on a ferry to teh Princes islands, and I
had a portable typewriter on which I was typing a report - in a hurry. In
no time I was approached by irrate commuters telling me to back of: "we're
sitting all day in the office, and don't want to hear that noise relaxing
on the way home!" ...)

Cheerio, p+3D!