:: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Antony Stone
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
On Saturday 12 December 2020 at 16:28:04, Didier Kryn wrote:

> Le 12/12/2020 à 14:15, Antony Stone a écrit :
> >
> > 1. how can I get 70-persistent-net.rules to carry on working under
> > Beowulf?
> >
> > 2. what's the "correct" way to get my interfaces named the way I want,
> > according to their MAC addresses, under Beowulf?
>
>     Udev has made a big effort to hide its action to the administrator.
> The rules have first been cached in /lib/udev; then the administerable
> files in /etc have been removed.

>     Eudev keeps a track of the names it has already assigned to
> interfaces, in /lib/udev/rules.d .

Ah, thanks, I didn't know about that directory (and indeed there are a *lot*
of files in it - far more even than I'm used to seeing in old Debian machines'
/etc/udev/rules.d/ directories).

>     Maybe you can find something concerning your ethernet interfaces in
> one of these files and maybe your problem is just that Eudev doesn't
> want to overwrite that file; therefore you might try to delete it
> (rename it for safety).

Hm; no.

Firstly there are no references to eth0, eth1 or eth2 in any of those files,
and secondly the files are all older than Jan 1 2020, so clearly nothing has
been put there based on the hardware in this machine.

>     I don't grant it works; but this is one thing I would try.

Thanks for the idea, and thanks for pointing me at something I didn't
previously know about, even if it wasn't the solution to my problem.

Antony.

--
Never automate fully anything that does not have a manual override capability.
Never design anything that cannot work under degraded conditions in emergency.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.