:: Re: [DNG] [OT] Re: (forw) [GoLugTec…
Author: Mark Rousell
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] Re: (forw) [GoLugTech] Microsoft buys GitHub
On 04/06/2018 17:01, KatolaZ wrote:
> Microsoft knows that GitHub is a goldmine of ideas and cool projects,
> and owning it means profiling the free software community with an
> unprecedented accuracy.

But if most of those projects are open source ones then Microsoft (or
anyone else) would have had access to all that information anyway.
Owning GitHub does not seem to me to get them anything substantially new
as far open source projects are concerned.

I do take your point about private repositories but I suspect that very
few people will care (including Microsoft). Do they really need to go
trawling private repositories for trade secrets? It seems unrealistic to me.

> Whatever people say on twitter, Microsoft has never changed and never
> will. It's the same company that stole BASIC. The same company that
> stole DOS. The same company that put an insane amount of money in the
> SCO lawsuit on Linux. The same company which called free-software "a
> cancer". The same company that forbids resellers to sell Windows in
> dual-boot configurations. The same company who paid a half-journalist
> to collect FUD about Linux Torvalds and the kernel developers about
> allegedly "stolen" code from Unix. It's the same company. The same
> people. The same silly faces. The same mindset. The same aims. The
> same methods. The same sour ending. HND KatolaZ

Time will tell, I guess.

Anyway, I look forward to Microsoft Enterprise Linux in due course. ;-)

--
Mark Rousell