:: Re: [Bricolabs] Remember Bricophone…
Author: hellekin
To: brico
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] Remember Bricophone project ten years ago ?
On 05/04/2017 11:06 AM, jnm wrote:

> But not opensource hardware. And the device needs also a regular mobile
> phone. Wireless electronics are now very low cost. It's could be time to
> design an open source and low cost one.
> is there a new motivation for this project on this list ?

The closest I can think of is Neo900, that recycles the Nokia N900 case
and mechanical parts and upgrades the hardware boards with free hardware
specifications. The cost of research of making such a device is very
high. I suppose dropping the baseband chipset to replace it with some
radio chip (e.g., taking inspiration from the Rad10 Badge distributed at
CCCamp15) might cut both the cost of research and production.

==
hk

--
 _ _     We are free to share code and we code to share freedom
(_X_)yne Foundation, Free Culture Foundry * https://www.dyne.org/donate/