:: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firm…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Steve Litt
To: dng
Nuovi argomenti: [Dng] finding computers that can run free.
Oggetto: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
On Wed, 3 Jun 2015 13:08:52 -0400
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> > Now, the base installer is such a vector of individuation, as
> > Debian 8 demonstrated by using it to install systemd. Systemd is
> > free software, but we don't like it to be installed by default.
> > Now we would frown at it and happily include non-free software in
> > our base installer? I really don't see the point. Again, that
> > people buy hardware requiring non-free software to run is a
> > problem, but that problem does not need to be ignored and
> > dismissed, it needs to be confronted and fixed.
>
> It can be quite difficult to find out whether a piece of hardware
> you're considering buying requires nonfree drivers.

Not only that, but with video, wifi, ethernet, mouse, and who knows
what other hardware, the chances of *all* the hardware being free and
open is low.

Unless you want to pay double for System76.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key