:: Re: [Netsukuku] DOS/MITM by TP spoo…
Author: Luca Dionisi
To: Netsukuku discussion list
Subject: Re: [Netsukuku] DOS/MITM by TP spoofing??
On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Luca Dionisi <luca.dionisi@???> wrote:
> Reminder:
> The problem we're talking about in this thread was not about anonymity
> nor about address changing or the correlation address-location.
> The original problem is: given a stable network, can a node be 100%
> sure that the informations it receives from a neighbor are correct?
> Where those informations are available paths to certain gnodes with
> certain efficiency.

The problem of Denial Of Service is real.

Also in centralized networks you suffer it.
Nobody can be sure that his ISP is acting fairly.
You cannot even be sure that your traffic will be routed.
Look at the Egyptian Internet shutdown and similar.

Obviously in a completely decentralized network you'll have even less
reliability.

It goes like this:
You are node A. You have a neighbor B.
It tells you that he has a good path to a certain gnode.
Can you be 100% sure that it is not lying? No.
Could you be 100% sure that it is cheating? I think not.
Could you be sure that its path is not reliable? You should test a
connection with any possible node in that gnode. I think you cannot.

I think that looking for a good solution to this sort of problem will
lead you to a very flooded network. And possibly you could ruin the
principles of the decentralization and self-configuration,
self-healing of the network.

But this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.
One thing you might do is show me that a solution is feasible. Give
your solution in great details.

Another solution is to stay with the current centralized way of doing,
choosing to trust our ISPs and their backbones to do the best for
their users.

--Luca