:: Re: [Bricolabs] IP / IoT House
Author: stephen kovats
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] IP / IoT House
hi John, Rob and Bricos,

the 'house' if planned, built etc ... would be in an easily serviceable location, probably in canada. The issue here - for me, for now, is not to create the stand-alone self supporting system, power generating water waste recycling etc (as with Makrolab, for example) although it is about making as small a footprint as possible. Perhaps another way to look at it is as a 'data autonomous' house.

cheers,
stephen

On 05.03.2012, at 23:02, John Hopkins wrote:

> On 3/5/12 06:36, Jean-Noël Montagné wrote:
>
> agreed J-N!
>
>>> In your opinions, what would or could an 'Internet of Things' ... or 'Open
>>> Source' house be, and how would this differ from obvious experiments in green,
>>> efficient and digitally responsive architectures?
>
> probably useful to first check on the availability of electricity, and the stability, areal extent, and quality. Most places in the techno-social periphery have supplies that are good (clean enough) for reliably running 'fridges, lights, and other DC objects -- but for use with step-down transformers (any small electronic device operates this way), the instability wreaks havoc (I'm sure some of you have experienced this effect -- that lovely whizzzzzz-pop! sound that an air-gap/induction transformer (converter) makes when it gets a voltage spike. The smell is unmistakable!
>
> No use deploying a high-tech plan if you have to run it on battery or generator or other unstable E supply... In the first two cases, it simply causes a deeper dependency on the globally-deployed techno-social infrastructure (which erases any gains of autonomous sustainability....)...
>
>> 1/I don't want my house, my life, being monitored in real time, as my websurf is
>> monitored anytime by the BigBrowser vampires.
>
> jep...
>
> cheers,
> jh

stephen kovats
r0g_media
agency for open culture and critical transformation

supermarkt studio 3
brunnenstrasse 69
13355 berlin

+49 170 5887806
r0g-media.org
tweet @intertwilight

// ------------------ //
** r0g_EVENTS coming up ... **

OS CITY JUBA
*towards an Open Source South Sudan*
Friday June 08, 2012
Supermarkt Berlin
#OSJUBA

THANKS:

CIRCUM / POLARITY + C_plexus Solaris
featuring: Jan-Peter E.R. Sonntag and Mark Resch
February 29, 19.00 @ Marshall McLuhan Salon
Embassy of Canada Berlin
http://www.mcluhan-salon.de/calendar
http://arcticperspective.org