:: Re: [Bricolabs] IP / IoT House
Author: John Hopkins
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] IP / IoT House
On 3/5/12 06:36, Jean-Noël Montagné wrote:

agreed J-N!

>> In your opinions, what would or could an 'Internet of Things' ... or 'Open
>> Source' house be, and how would this differ from obvious experiments in green,
>> efficient and digitally responsive architectures?

probably useful to first check on the availability of electricity, and the
stability, areal extent, and quality. Most places in the techno-social
periphery have supplies that are good (clean enough) for reliably running
'fridges, lights, and other DC objects -- but for use with step-down
transformers (any small electronic device operates this way), the instability
wreaks havoc (I'm sure some of you have experienced this effect -- that lovely
whizzzzzz-pop! sound that an air-gap/induction transformer (converter) makes
when it gets a voltage spike. The smell is unmistakable!

No use deploying a high-tech plan if you have to run it on battery or generator
or other unstable E supply... In the first two cases, it simply causes a deeper
dependency on the globally-deployed techno-social infrastructure (which erases
any gains of autonomous sustainability....)...

> 1/I don't want my house, my life, being monitored in real time, as my websurf is
> monitored anytime by the BigBrowser vampires.

jep...

cheers,
jh